Church of St Catherine of Alexandria in Gręboszów

Add to the planner

The church in Gręboszów was funded by Count Johannes Edgar Henckel von Donnersmarck, owner of the park, palace complex, and manor. The church was built in 1899, next to the early 17th-century wooden church, which was subsequently converted into a cemetery chapel. In 1973, the wooden church was moved to the Opole Open-Air Museum of Rural Architecture, where it can be seen to this day.

The masonry church was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by two Scottish architects, Frank Thomas Baggallay and Walter John Nash Millard, who attempted to imitate typical British architecture. However, in the years 1936–37, the church underwent remodelling which simplified its structure and removed some of the architectural details. In one of the windows, you can spot a window grille from the 1930s with the badge of the Third Reich.

The church of St Catherine is surrounded by a cemetery with tombstones that are both recent and that date back to before World War II, and some are even older. Among them is the 18th-century tombstone of Hanz Moritz von Prittwitz-Gaffron and his wife, Johanna Eleonore, who once owned the village.

3D Panorama

Calculate the route